Re: [Vserver] Interesting times ...

From: Serge E. Hallyn <serue_at_us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed 21 Dec 2005 - 16:29:39 GMT

Quoting Herbert Poetzl (herbert@13thfloor.at):
> > - pid and other types of 'isolation' will be extended
> > to do full virtualization without increasing the
> > overhead (in cooperation with folks from columbia)
>
> (had to add it back :)
>
> btw, do you have a version of the pid virtualization
> patches which already works with linux-vserver?

Hmm, not yet.

Question there is what would be the best way to exploit those
patches in vserver? I could probably keep the vserver userspace
unchanged and have the vserver kernel code internally make use
of the pidspaces. Or I could try to use the pidspace
containers from the vserver userspace tools, and take all pid
virtualization out of vserver kernel code. The latter is
probably the cleaner way to go, except that I'm far less
familiar with the userspace tools than the kernel code...

> also, do you plan to do a 2.6.15 port this time?
> (just curious)

Yup. I guess they're on -rc6 right now, so 2.6.15 should be
out soon. I'm only in one day next week, but it should be
doable... Hmm, wait, aren't shared subtrees being introduced
in 2.6.15? That'll probably require baroque changes in
vserver. Well, we'll see how it goes :)

-serge