Re: [Vserver] Interesting times ...

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Wed 21 Dec 2005 - 15:56:37 GMT

On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 09:43:45AM -0600, Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
> Quoting Herbert Poetzl (herbert@13thfloor.at):
> >
> > Hi Community!
> >
> > for those who do not know yet, I recently was invited
> > from the PlanetLab folks to pay a visit to Princeton,
>
> Cool.
>
> > - we will continue to develop ngnet and try to make
> > it work side by side with the current legacy net
> > (well, an updated version of that, at least)
>
> Excellent.
>
> > - Private Namespaces become hierarchical, i.e. they
> > start to propagate certain events, like mount or
> > unmount (if desired) down the hierarchy ...
> >
> > this is a mainline 'feature', but it will become
> > very interesting for Linux-VServer I guess ...
>
> Do you think you'll need anything more in the kernel
> to support some sort of vserver-specific needs, or will
> this purely come down to exploitation in user-space?

I assume that we still need the 'map/enter' support,
and we might also need a 'special' cleanup for guest
context (based on mount tagging or so) to elevate some
issues folks encountered (when making heavy use of
private namespaces)

> - pid and other types of 'isolation' will be extended
> to do full virtualization without increasing the
> overhead (in cooperation with folks from columbia)

(had to add it back :)

btw, do you have a version of the pid virtualization
patches which already works with linux-vserver?

also, do you plan to do a 2.6.15 port this time?
(just curious)