Re: [Vserver] Wiki : HowTo graph vserver usage with cacti

From: GarconDuMonde <gdm_at_fifthhorseman.net>
Date: Sat 17 Dec 2005 - 11:16:07 GMT

hi,

Matt Gorecki wrote:
> I would be interested in all of the above. Particularly in network
> traffic, memory usage and cpu utilization.

and me too! basically, will have a production environment of greater than 1
physical host and many vserver guests with which it would be great to be able to
achieve some kind of balance across the physical hosts of the vservers,
appropriate to their capabilities. i guess that, in particular, the interest
would be:

        - cpu usage
        - memory usage
        - network/bandwidth information
        - hard disk usage

all of these on a per-vserver basis (as well as monitoring the physical host,
which it seems i can already do). currently, i am using munin [1], which gives
good reports based on the physical host and also on all the vservers bunched
together as a group, it seems. cacti has been recommended tho, and i don't know
how they compare but first glances at the cacti[2] site seem encouraging.

[1] http://munin.projects.linpro.no/
[2] http://www.cacti.net

in summary, be great to have more monitoring info available, i work in a
production environment predominantly so testing may be limited, but i might be
able to get together a test box to use as well to help with this.

- --

love and solidarity,

        --gdm

http://docs.indymedia.org/view/Main/GarconDuMonde

i have a NEW key:
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 594B97C2
Key fingerprint = 7B70 F22D F275 D111 3A04 F9EE 0E25 4944 594B 97C2