Re: [Vserver] setting the MAC address for a vserver

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Thu 15 Dec 2005 - 14:53:26 GMT

On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 11:35:56AM +0100, Bert De Vuyst wrote:

> Hello,
>
> In our network we have some old PC's running the flexlm license
> manager. I would like to migrate these setups to vservers. But there
> is a problem regarding to the MAC address of the network interface.
> The license is bound to a specific network card. Migrating the license
> isn't cheap.

hehe .. well I will further assume that whatever
you want to do is _legal_ in your country and I
will just do some brainstorming here which must not
be considered an advice or incitement to do something
illegal ...

> Is there a way to setup "virtual" interfaces having there own MAC in
> linux? Someone told it is possible using user-mode-linux and bridging.
> But I would like to user linux-vserver instead of UML. I don't care
> about the overhead of a bridge, as there is hardly any load on these
> machines. So far, I got the bridge running. But I can't set the MAC
> addres (using: ifconfig promisc hw)

depending on the number of guests which would
require such changes, and the way the check is
implemented, you could do one of the following:

 - write a preload library/command wrapper to fake the MAC
 - hack the kernel to report per guest MAC
 - use dummy interfaces and assign a separate MAC

of course, IMHO you should _pay_ for the migration and/or
_complain_ to the company where you got those licenses
from ...