Re: [Vserver] When to mount lvm? (vs2.0)

From: Chuck <chuck_at_sbbsnet.net>
Date: Tue 13 Dec 2005 - 13:14:10 GMT

On Tuesday 13 December 2005 08:03 am, Lars Braeuer wrote:
> Chuck wrote:
> > On Tuesday 13 December 2005 07:38 am, Lars Braeuer wrote:
> >
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>I'm not sure where to mount an LVM2 device with vs2.0.
> >>I do not want to mount it on system boot, but when starting the guest
> >
> > vserver.
> >
> >>The fstab file in the vserver config directory seems to be the right
place.

> > good question. i run lvm2 and i have found on my system, if i want to be
able
> > to administer the guest directly from the host, i must mount it on boot or
> > create a special script to start the guest which mounts the lvm2
mountpoint,
> > then calls vserver to start the guest. if i do not do this, then i cannot
> > administer the guest from the host and must enter the guest to do anything
at
> > all.
> >
> > will be interesting to see what the gurus say :)
>
> so you are doing it the same way, via the fstab config file?
>
> it seems like the device is mounted right until after the vserver is up.
>
> I included a "ls -la /vservers/test01/ ; df -a" in the prepre-start script
and it actually outputs a
> listing of the guest system. This might be from a different ctx (i.e. 1)???
> Because after the guest system is started, and I return to the normal
hostsystem shell, a "ls -la
> /vservers/test01" outputs an empty directory.

for the most part i mount them on boot. i have one guest that i dont want
mounted until i use it, so i have a special script i run when i want to use
that guest which mounts the lvm mount point then calls vserver to start the
guest so the mount point is visible in the host until i stop the guest, then
the script unmounts it after stopping the guest. its just a specialized init
script.

> >>But when including an entry like this in the fstab file, the mount won't
> >
> > show up in the hostsystem
> >
> >>and will not be accessible via the mount point in the /vservers directory:
> >>/dev/mapper/vg-test01 / ext3 defaults 1 2
> >>But I'm able to enter the vserver with "vserver test01 enter", weird.
> >>
> >>I also tried the prepre-start script, but it seems to be the wrong place,
> >
> > because it's called after
> >
> >>the generateOptions function.
> >>
> >>Any hints?
> >>
> >>Best,
> >>
> >>Lars

Chuck
"...and the hordes of M$*ft users descended upon me in their anger,
and asked 'Why do you not get the viruses or the BlueScreensOfDeath
or insecure system troubles and slowness or pay through the nose
for an OS as *we* do?!!', and I answered...'I use Linux'. "
The Book of John, chapter 1, page 1, and end of book