Re: [Vserver] When to mount lvm? (vs2.0)

From: Xavier Montagutelli <xavier.montagutelli_at_unilim.fr>
Date: Tue 13 Dec 2005 - 14:21:40 GMT

On Tuesday 13 December 2005 13:46, Chuck wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 December 2005 07:38 am, Lars Braeuer wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm not sure where to mount an LVM2 device with vs2.0.
> > I do not want to mount it on system boot, but when starting the guest
>
> vserver.
>
> > The fstab file in the vserver config directory seems to be the right
> > place.
>
> good question. i run lvm2 and i have found on my system, if i want to be
> able to administer the guest directly from the host, i must mount it on
> boot or create a special script to start the guest which mounts the lvm2
> mountpoint, then calls vserver to start the guest. if i do not do this,
> then i cannot administer the guest from the host and must enter the guest
> to do anything at all.
>
> will be interesting to see what the gurus say :)

Not a guru answer : the mount points doesn't appear in the host because they
are in a different namespace. Each vserver has its own namespace. Namespaces
are a linux VFS feature. A process being in one namespace doesn't have the
same view of the mounted filesystems as another process being in another
namespace.
http://linux-vserver.org/Namespaces

So if you want to see the mount points of a vserver from the host (be careful,
the paths don't take into account the chroot) :

vnamespace <vserver> cat /proc/mounts

When you "enter" a vserver, the new shell is in the same namespace as the
vserver, so you can also administer it.

--
Xavier Montagutelli
Service Commun Informatique