Re: [Vserver] Suddenly, no routing.

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Fri 14 Oct 2005 - 08:11:56 BST

On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 09:31:08PM -0700, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> For no reason I'm aware of, I suddenly can't reach outside IPs from
> my VServer. The VServer has a non-routeable IP, but it's copied
> its interface config from the host, so its gateway is a regular
> net-routeable IP, which the VServer can't ping.

aha, why? does ping -I <guest ip> www.google.com fail?
if so, try the 'typical' snat command:

iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -s <guest ip> -j SNAT --to <host ip>

> It was working a while ago; I have no idea what's going on.

something changed :)

> I'd love tips on debugging this.

have a look at, and/or provide a description of
your network setup including ip- and routing tables

> It seems like the VServer's gateway *should* be the host,

no, networking _is_ on the host, so the guest's
gateway _will_ be the gateway according to the
routing on the host ...

> but I can't figure out how to change it.

simple, with the 'route' and/or 'ip route' commands

> The host and VServer can reach each other just fine.

as they are one, not too unexpected ...
(see documentation/archived knowledge/networking)