From: Christian Heim (christian.th.heim_at_gmx.de)
Date: Sun 02 Oct 2005 - 13:31:38 BST

On Sunday 02 October 2005 13:59, Chuck wrote:
> I guess my question is more than one :) .
>
> 1. is the stop bug fixed
Yes, in the latest baselayout-vserver they're fixed.
That means you've currently to do the following inside your guests:
# echo '=sys-apps/baselayout-vserver-1.11.13-r1 ~x86 \
>> /etc/portage/package.keywords'
# CONFIG_PROTECT="-*" emerge -u baselayout-vserver

after that, your guest should now be stopping fine

> 2. if so what are the latest versions of the above?
* latest kernel patch is at 2.1.0_rc2 (IIRC)
   - for Gentoo that is =vserver-sources-2.1.0_rc2 (~x86)
      incorporating kernel-2.6.13.2 and vs2.1.0_rc2

* util-vserver-0.30.208 (are the latest)
   - for Gentoo that is =util-vserver-0.30.208-r3 (~x86)

* baselayout for the guests is currently at
   - =baselayout-vserver-1.11.13-r1 (~x86)
   - =baselayout-vserver-1.12.0_pre8 (~x86)

   Depends if you like to use the 1.12.0 stuff or the old ones

> 3. what is my best approach for least production problems in
> creating a template?
> a. find an updated stage3 that includes latest base layout
> b. make the template from the latest stage1 vserver build and
> use the latest base layout with that and just build the thing
> from scratch?

Depends on the following:
* how bleeding-edge you would like to be
* if you need some customizations (like 64-bit guests)

The stage-tarballs will be renewed
* every half year
* if a new baselayout-vserver went stable

If I were you, I would go for the template from scratch.

--
Christian Heim <phreak_at_gentoo.org>
Gentoo Linux Developer (VServer)