From: Martin Honermeyer (maze_at_strahlungsfrei.de)
Date: Mon 26 Sep 2005 - 10:49:22 BST

Hello Johnny,

Johnny Rose Carlsen wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 21:31:36 +0200
> Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Sep 23, 2005 at 08:49:28PM +0200, Johnny Rose Carlsen wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Does anyone has any experience running Vserver on a Gentoo AMD64
>> > system?
>> >
>> > Gentoo advices one to only use the "gentoo-sources" kernel on AMD64,
>> > because of some AMD64 patches. My install uses the "vserver-sources"
>> > kernel, but my system definately have some troubles with oopses and
>> > processes getting killed.
>>
>> several providers are already using vs2.0 on x86_64
>> (and I got zero bug/issue reports for that) so I
>> assume it's working quite fine ... what kernel do
>> you use and what kind of 'oopses' do you get?
>>
>> maybe an oops trace might help to identify possible
>> issues and/or misconfigurations ...
>
> This is actually what I wanted to know, because i suspect that my
> troubles may lie in a broken Gentoo installation or hardware errors.
> Both are very likely at the moment.
>
> First step will be to see whether I can get the server to run stable
> with Gentoo AMD64 and no vserver. If thats a success, I will add
> vserver-support and see what happens.

We are using vserver-sources-2.0 (2.6.12) on an amd64 (Intel Xeon) machine.
It is running fine without problems. Uptime is 47 days now.

There were some problems with the RAID controller and an older kernel which
lead to crashes. Since the upgrade to the stable vserver-sources,
everything is fine.

Just let me know if you need further information.

Greetz,
Martin