From: Chuck (chuck_at_sbbsnet.net)
Date: Sat 24 Sep 2005 - 04:25:25 BST

ok i am firmly convinced never to touch cpan in guests. ever.
it not only blows up every time as mentioned in earlier messages but it then
proceeds to leave a file in the root directory of the guest that is
unremovably linked to /sys.

i spent hours searching google and the gentoo support forums on the cpan error
about terminal not supporting addhistory.. tons of entries and not one
solution. so the heck with it. any additions to cpan will be done manually
via packages.

when i try to remove the file cpan leaves when it exits with the no history
support, it says it is a directory.. here is the ls on it

-rw-r--r-- 2 root root 23 Sep 23 20:40 sys$command

looks like a normal file to me..

so since this is experimental, i used rmdir on it.

/sys vanished and it stayed in the directory listing. dang thing is permanent.
operations on this file give no unexpected error messages but everything i do
to that file affects only /sys

since im the only one to ever see the guests in this machine, im leaving it
alone unless it will present some kind of problem later on.

i dont need it for this machine, but i must solve this cpan problem for the
next machine as there will be guests run by other admins that are cpan and
perl crazy. i think their breakfast bowls have perl /cpan logos on them!

before i tackle cpan though i must study iproute2 and get the 3rd nic to work
on a 3rd network in this machine (tomorrow i hope).

Bertl hinted possibly something wrong in the paths configurations so when i go
to cpan debugging readline is the first place im looking for that line number
and go from there.

Hollow if you are reading this, with the stage3-latest on your site, do you
have any perl cpan problems? remember i only use remote terminals via ssh
into the machines.

--

Chuck

"...and the hordes of M$*ft users descended upon me in their anger, and asked 'Why do you not get the viruses or the BlueScreensOfDeath or insecure system troubles and slowness or pay through the nose for an OS as *we* do?!!', and I answered...'I use Linux'. " The Book of John, chapter 1, page 1, and end of book