From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Tue 26 Jul 2005 - 03:48:50 BST

On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 11:28:56AM +1000, Matt Paine wrote:
> Thanks for the reply Herbert.
>
> All your suggestions worked as far as getting the kernel and
> util-vserver compiled and installed. Awsome :)
>
> I am now using a vanilla kernel (2.6.12.2) with vserver (2.0-rc6) with
hmm, why not 2.6.12.3 (vs2.0-rc8.1)? (just curious)

> util-vserver (0.30.208).
>
> I'm still having problems creating my first vserver.......
>
> >>Its from here things get hazy. Sites mention the use of newvserver to
> >>create a new virtual server, but thatis not part of the util-vserver
> >
> >no it's a debian add on of dubious value ...
>
> Thats good to know, so I'll stay away from that.
>
> >check with http://vserver.13thfloor.at/Stuff/SCRIPT/testme.sh
> >and let us know the results ...
>
> And the test script works perfectly, but I now have another problem. I
> got this build instruction from the CentOS howto..... (modified for fc4
> distro)

well, nevertheless the results might be interesting ...

> -----8<--------------------
>
> [root_at_google util-vserver-0.30.208]# vserver test4 build -m yum -- -d fc4
> *** rpm-fake-resolver was built with glibc; please do ***
> *** not report errors before trying a dietlibc version. ***
> *** rpm-fake-resolver was built with glibc; please do ***
> *** not report errors before trying a dietlibc version. ***

message says it all :)

> You are using a version of yum which is insecure and broken in chroot
> related operations; either apply the patches shipped in the 'contrib/'
> directory of util-vserver, or ask the author of yum to apply them
> (preferred).
>
> In the meantime, 'vyum' will continue with dirty hacks which might not
> work when the vserver is running and local DOS attacks are possible.
>
> Execution will continue in 5 seconds...
> *** rpm-fake-resolver was built with glibc; please do ***
> *** not report errors before trying a dietlibc version. ***
>
> You have enabled checking of packages via GPG keys. This is a good thing.
> However, you do not have any GPG public keys installed. You need to download
> the keys for packages you wish to install and install them.
> You can do that by running the command:
> rpm --import public.gpg.key
>
> Alternatively you can specify the url to the key you would like to use
> for a repository in the 'gpgkey' option in a repository section and yum

I would take this advice, as most likely the keys
are required _inside_ the guest, not on your host
(but I might be wrong here)

> will install it for you.
>
> For more information contact your distribution or package provider.
> rm -rf /etc/vservers/.defaults/vdirbase/test4 /etc/vservers/test4
> /etc/vservers/.defaults/vdirbase/.pkg/test4
>
> ---------------------------->8-----------------------------
>
> Its complaining about the GPG keys, so I installed it with.....
>
> ----8<----
> rpm --import /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY
> #(that didn't work, so i tried another one)
> rpm --import /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora
> ------>8-----
>
> All to no avail. Is this a dietlib thing? Can I just install the guest
> based on the RPM's I have off the cd (which I don't need to check
> against GPG keys?)

it's all a matter of convincing yum/rpm _not_ to
require the keys ...

> Thankyou again for your help, hopefully I'll have a working vserver soon
> and I'll be sure to document my efforts.

sounds good to me ...

HTH,
Herbert