From: Matt Paine (matt_at_mattsoftware.com)
Date: Tue 26 Jul 2005 - 02:28:56 BST

Thanks for the reply Herbert.

All your suggestions worked as far as getting the kernel and
util-vserver compiled and installed. Awsome :)

I am now using a vanilla kernel (2.6.12.2) with vserver (2.0-rc6) with
util-vserver (0.30.208).

I'm still having problems creating my first vserver.......

>>Its from here things get hazy. Sites mention the use of newvserver to
>>create a new virtual server, but thatis not part of the util-vserver
>
> no it's a debian add on of dubious value ...

Thats good to know, so I'll stay away from that.

> check with http://vserver.13thfloor.at/Stuff/SCRIPT/testme.sh
> and let us know the results ...

And the test script works perfectly, but I now have another problem. I
got this build instruction from the CentOS howto..... (modified for fc4
distro)

-----8<--------------------

[root_at_google util-vserver-0.30.208]# vserver test4 build -m yum -- -d fc4
*** rpm-fake-resolver was built with glibc; please do ***
*** not report errors before trying a dietlibc version. ***
*** rpm-fake-resolver was built with glibc; please do ***
*** not report errors before trying a dietlibc version. ***
You are using a version of yum which is insecure and broken in chroot
related operations; either apply the patches shipped in the 'contrib/'
directory of util-vserver, or ask the author of yum to apply them
(preferred).

In the meantime, 'vyum' will continue with dirty hacks which might not
work when the vserver is running and local DOS attacks are possible.

Execution will continue in 5 seconds...
*** rpm-fake-resolver was built with glibc; please do ***
*** not report errors before trying a dietlibc version. ***

You have enabled checking of packages via GPG keys. This is a good thing.
However, you do not have any GPG public keys installed. You need to download
the keys for packages you wish to install and install them.
You can do that by running the command:
     rpm --import public.gpg.key

Alternatively you can specify the url to the key you would like to use
for a repository in the 'gpgkey' option in a repository section and yum
will install it for you.

For more information contact your distribution or package provider.
rm -rf /etc/vservers/.defaults/vdirbase/test4 /etc/vservers/test4
/etc/vservers/.defaults/vdirbase/.pkg/test4

---------------------------->8-----------------------------

Its complaining about the GPG keys, so I installed it with.....

----8<----
rpm --import /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY
#(that didn't work, so i tried another one)
rpm --import /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora

All to no avail. Is this a dietlib thing? Can I just install the guest
based on the RPM's I have off the cd (which I don't need to check
against GPG keys?)

Thankyou again for your help, hopefully I'll have a working vserver soon
and I'll be sure to document my efforts.

Matt.