From: Matt Paine (matt_at_mattsoftware.com)
Date: Wed 13 Jul 2005 - 15:16:47 BST

Hi.

Ive been monitoring the list for a few days now, and constantly
searching the vserver site, and the util-vserver site and google for
appropriate documentation and I have not been able to find any hints as
to what to do next.

My setup:

Host has FC4. Vanilla kernel (2.6.12.2) with the latest vserver patch
(2.0-rc6). Standard options. All build and installed and booted with no
errors.

util-vserver (0.30) built and installed with no errors.

Its from here things get hazy. Sites mention the use of newvserver to
create a new virtual server, but thatis not part of the util-vserver
package (as far as I can tell). Other sites give examples of the vserver
build command. This example is from the gentoo documentation
(http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/vserver-howto.xml) although I seem to be
getting the same errors no matter what command I use...

---------8<---------------------

[root_at_google ~]# vserver test2 build -m skeleton --hostname test2
--initstyle plain --context 2 --interface test2=eth0:192.168.1.41/24

Directory /vservers/test2 has been populated
/etc/vservers/test2.conf has been created. Look at it!
Can't set the ipv4 root (Invalid argument)
Can't set the ipv4 root (Invalid argument)
Can't set the ipv4 root (Invalid argument)
Can't set the ipv4 root (Invalid argument)
etc (total count 70 messages the same)
Can't set the ipv4 root (Invalid argument)
Can't set the ipv4 root (Invalid argument)
[root_at_google ~]#

------------------------->8----------

The files do "seem" to exist in the /vserver/test2 directory. The
test2.conf did get created. So I though I'de ignore the error and
continue with other snippets I have found.....

------------8<----------------

[root_at_google ~]# vserver test2 enter
Can't set the ipv4 root (Invalid argument)
[root_at_google ~]#

------------->8---------------

Well, that didn't work. Perhaps I could try starting the server first? ....

------------8<----------------

[root_at_google ~]# vserver test2 start
Starting the virtual server test2
Server test2 is not running
Can't set the ipv4 root (Invalid argument)
[root_at_google ~]#

Stuck!

Any help will be appreciated (let me know if anyone needs any further
information). This looks like such a fantastic project, but I've been
banging my head against the wall for almost a week now and still no luck.

Thankyou in advance

Matt.