From: Martin Honermeyer (maze_at_strahlungsfrei.de)
Date: Fri 08 Jul 2005 - 12:48:18 BST

Hello Bodo,

Bodo Eggert wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Jun 2005, Martin Honermeyer wrote:
>
>> * Deleted everything from /tmp.
>> * Tried to login again => same problem, window closes after a few seconds
>> * looked at the user's .xsession-errors file:
>> _IceTransmkdir: ERROR: Owner of /tmp/.ICE-unix must be set to root
> [...]
>
>> Note: I have to re-run those two commands every time I reboot the
>> VServer. It seems like starting an X-Server from within FreeNX doesn't
>> set up those permissions in /tmp correctly. Maybe that's because I don't
>> have something like KDM run beforehand.
>
> It's a common error, caused by KDE. It expects the boot scripts to create
> this dir, and if there is none, it will mess it up.
>
> The [KX]DM startup script should create that directory, check if it's
> owned by root and chmod it to 1777. If it isn't, remove or rename the
> directory and retry a limited number of times.

As FreeNX doesn't need a display manager _at all_, why should I XDM? I think
the easiest solution is two put the lines

# fix X11/KDE problems
rm -fR /tmp/.ICE-unix /tmp/.X11-unix
mkdir /tmp/.ICE-unix /tmp/.X11-unix
chmod 1777 /tmp/.ICE-unix /tmp/.X11-unix

into /etc/conf.d/local.start (Gentoo VServer), so it is run on every boot.
That would fix it for me.

I've got an additional problem resulting from the inability to access pty's
from the guest. I'd like to start xterm / konsole in my kde sessions. This
isn't possible ("not enough ptys"). Is it possible to get this running?
Using secure mounts maybe?

Martin