From: Bodo Eggert (7eggert_at_gmx.de)
Date: Fri 08 Jul 2005 - 10:35:35 BST

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005, Martin Honermeyer wrote:

> * Deleted everything from /tmp.
> * Tried to login again => same problem, window closes after a few seconds
> * looked at the user's .xsession-errors file:
> _IceTransmkdir: ERROR: Owner of /tmp/.ICE-unix must be set to root
[...]

> Note: I have to re-run those two commands every time I reboot the VServer.
> It seems like starting an X-Server from within FreeNX doesn't set up those
> permissions in /tmp correctly. Maybe that's because I don't have something
> like KDM run beforehand.

It's a common error, caused by KDE. It expects the boot scripts to create
this dir, and if there is none, it will mess it up.

The [KX]DM startup script should create that directory, check if it's
owned by root and chmod it to 1777. If it isn't, remove or rename the
directory and retry a limited number of times.

--
"Just because you are paranoid, do'nt mean they're not after you."
	-- K.Cobain