From: Etienne Pretorius (etiennep_at_kingsley.co.za)
Date: Tue 21 Jun 2005 - 09:57:52 BST

Hi there,

I would like to know if any1 can shed some light for me on the following:

I have a "Host" with the ip addresses
    eth0 192.168.1.33
    eth1 192.168.5.99
    ppp0 <dynamic>

Inside this host I have a vserver with the following ip addresses:
    eth0 192.168.1.2
    eth1 196.25.113.3

My Nat table looks like so:
    Chain PREROUTING (policy ACCEPT 66 packets, 4577 bytes)
         pkts bytes target prot opt in out
source destination

    Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT 2 packets, 288 bytes)
         pkts bytes target prot opt in out
source destination
            0 0 SNAT all -- * ppp0
0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 to:<dynamic ip>
            5 420 SNAT all -- * eth1
0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 to:192.168.5.99

    Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 7 packets, 708 bytes)
         pkts bytes target prot opt in out
source destination

I would like the services on the vserver to be avialible to the outside
network;
I first thought that if I give the vserver 10.x.x.x ip addresses and
have an aliased ip 196.25.113.3 on the host
and then preform natting then my problem will be solved, but
unfortunately this is not so. As I can't seem to be
able to add the 196 address to the eth1 for the aliaseing to occur.

I am just interisted what others could suggest to me to do in this senario.

BTW using Debian kernel 2.6.8 and vserver 1.9

--
Gratefull
Etienne