From: Sam Vilain (sam_at_vilain.net)
Date: Tue 03 May 2005 - 22:56:45 BST

Ola Lundqvist wrote:
> As I now have the possiblity to apply a number of fixes directly to this
> upstream version I will do so. I need your advice on a number of things
> though. If you do not want me to modify some parts here please tell
> me as I may do it quite soon. :)

This is wiki-style development; don't even worry too much about the code
compiling. Just make sure that your commits have clear intent. Have trust
in the Version Control System!

That being said, commits which are untested and don't compile make a bit of
work for others around release time. So be sure to at least hang out in IRC
to receive the flames.

> * Is a dependency on perl for building acceptable? I need it as one
> of the manpages (vserver-build) is written in .pod format and need
> pod2man (provided by perl) to convert to manpage format. I'm not

In subversion you should use a conveniently editable format. If the perl
dependancy is an issue to anyone, it can always happen at the logical
equivalent of `make dist' time, being a maintainer build dependancy instead.

Heck, tools could be written in Haskell and compiled to C during maintainer
release production, if it made development easier!

> * Do you want me to provide the tools available in vserver-debiantools
> package? It is a coupele of wrappers around debootstrap or 'vserver ... build'
> that make build process slightly easier.

Sure, throw them in. Ideally they should work with a non-debian host, too,
but beggars can't be choosers, so we can start with what works for some
first.

Your commits look great so far! Thanks for your hard work,
Sam.