From: Gilles (gilles_at_harfang.homelinux.org)
Date: Tue 26 Apr 2005 - 11:02:11 BST

Hi.

> You have to specify --initstyle plain when building the vserver or have
> /etc/vservers/<vserver>/apps/init/style contain "plain".

Thanks, that's the piece I was missing. So it worked, *once* :-{
After that on the next trials to start the vserver:

 # vserver phony start
 vcontext: vc_create_context(): File exists

 An error occured while executing the vserver startup sequence; when
 there are no other messages, it is very likely that the init-script
 (/sbin/init) failed.

 Common causes are:
 * /etc/rc.d/rc on Fedora Core 1 and RH9 fails always; the 'apt-rpm' build
   method knows how to deal with this, but on existing installations,
   appending 'true' to this file will help.

 Failed to start vserver 'phony'

Why would 'init' work once and then fail?
Although I'm using Debian within the guest too, I tried the suggestion
indicated (appending "true" in "/etc/init.d/rc") anyway, but it didn't
help.

How should I proceed from here?

Gilles