From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Wed 06 Apr 2005 - 07:17:09 BST

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 05:00:47PM +1200, Michal Ludvig wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm running a 32bit vserver on AMD64 host, both are SuSE 9.2
> Professional (which is obviously irrelevant here ;-)
>
> Started with the default config a logged in with SSH I run 'uname -m'
> which gives me 'x86_64' which is wrong. I want the vserver to believe it
> is actually running on x86 hardware. The chroot command must be run from
> 'linux32' wrapper, something like:
>
> # linux32 chroot /vserver/whatever /etc/rc.d/rc 3

yes, we had the 'personality' question some time ago
and I think enrico will add it to the tools sooner or later
as a special config option (maybe ..../personality)

> So I changed:
> declare -a VSERVER_EXTRA_CMDS=()
> declare -a VSERVER_EXTRA_CMDS=(linux32)
> in vserver.functions and restarted the vserver. Now it's much better -
> in SSH session to vserver 'uname -m' says 'i686' which is correct.

btw, if you just want to get i686, you can also modify
the utsname entry for that ... but it will mean different
things (i.e. use a 64bit personality but report i686 ;)

> I'd like to have this as a per-vserver config option. Can I do it somehow?
>
> The second "problem" (though nothing critical) is that it still reports
> 'x86_64' when I run 'vserver whatever exec /bin/uname -m' instead of
> logging there over SSH. Can this be fixed somehow?

once this is an option, the vserver enter will honor it ...

HTH,
Herbert