From: Stephen Frost (sfrost_at_snowman.net)
Date: Thu 17 Feb 2005 - 17:18:31 GMT

* Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at) wrote:
> [...]

This isn't hard to fix. There was just a little rework of a couple
functions in mmap.c. I can create a patch if you need it for
debian+vserver.

> > > yes, the patch-2.6.10-vs1.9.4.diff is for vanilla kernels
> > > (from kernel.org) which should work quite fine with debian
> > > but I'm sure somebody has already adapted the patch for
> > > the debian source (which is probably more like 2.6.11-rc*)
> >
> > I think I'll stick to the vanilla kernel.
> >
> a good choice IMHO, because:

Actually, a bad choice.

> - mainline (vanilla) kernels get more testing

But continue to have bugs in them, hope you're not doing much 'net
traffic w/ that 2.6.10 kernel and iptables- it's got a bug wrt handling
RST packets, as in, it doesn't handle them well and your conntrack table
will get filled up. This is fixed in the Debian kernels.

The Debian kernels also get a fair bit of testing themselves, I don't
know if it's more than vanilla kernels or not, but it's probably less
than RedHat kernels.

> - linux-vserver patches for vanilla kernels get more testing
> - issues and bugs are easier resolved with more feedback

Debian's kernel team is actually rather responsive to handling bugs and
getting updates into their kernels to fix the problems in the vanilla
kernels (of which there's been more and more lately...).

> > > please file a request to the debian maintainer(s) ...
> >
> > I've read in another thread that the reason why the 1.9.x branch
> > isn't in the unstable/testing Debian yet... is that it's still
> > in development.
>
> well, then maybe the debian very-unstable/development-testing branch
> would fit better (no idea what the debian policies are ;)

The issue with this is that Debian is looking to release and things in
unstable migrate to testing and then eventually will be released with
stable. unstable isn't really a whole seperate tree in that sense, at
least, not right now. After stable is released it'll go back to being
the latest-greatest that compiles and works after a cursory test.

> > But the someone in that thread also said that a "kernel patch"
> > might not apply to normal Debian policy very good, which I
> > partly agree with.
>
> I cannot comment on that, but it might be true, of course ...

In general the vserver patches actually work pretty well against the
Debian kernel patches, it all just depends on what's changeing in each
patch. Considering the sizes of the patches I'd say it's pretty good
that there was only one reject, and that wasn't hard to fix anyway.

        Stephen