From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Thu 17 Feb 2005 - 16:51:57 GMT

On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 02:23:00PM +0100, Lars E. D. Jensen wrote:
> > > patching file mm/mmap.c
> > > Hunk #3 FAILED at 1353.
> > > Hunk #4 FAILED at 1368.
> > > Hunk #5 FAILED at 1418.
> > > Hunk #6 FAILED at 1434.
> > > Hunk #7 succeeded at 1573 (offset 31 lines).
> > > Hunk #8 succeeded at 1813 (offset 31 lines).
> > > Hunk #9 succeeded at 1842 (offset 37 lines).
> > > Hunk #10 succeeded at 1871 (offset 37 lines).
> > > Hunk #11 succeeded at 1907 (offset 37 lines).
> > > 4 out of 11 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file mm/mmap.c.rej
> >
> > yes, the patch-2.6.10-vs1.9.4.diff is for vanilla kernels
> > (from kernel.org) which should work quite fine with debian
> > but I'm sure somebody has already adapted the patch for
> > the debian source (which is probably more like 2.6.11-rc*)
>
> I think I'll stick to the vanilla kernel.

a good choice IMHO, because:

 - mainline (vanilla) kernels get more testing
 - linux-vserver patches for vanilla kernels get more testing
 - issues and bugs are easier resolved with more feedback

> > > I know there's a kernel-patch-ctx for Debian, but this is only 1.29
> > > vserver patch.
> >
> > please file a request to the debian maintainer(s) ...
>
> I've read in another thread that the reason why the 1.9.x branch
> isn't in the unstable/testing Debian yet... is that it's still
> in development.

well, then maybe the debian very-unstable/development-testing branch
would fit better (no idea what the debian policies are ;)

> But the someone in that thread also said that a "kernel patch"
> might not apply to normal Debian policy very good, which I
> partly agree with.

I cannot comment on that, but it might be true, of course ...