From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Thu 20 Jan 2005 - 09:51:12 GMT

On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 09:29:11AM +0100, Timo Müller wrote:
> Hi !!!
>
> I´ve a problem when I Stop my vServer:
>
> -bash-3.00# vserver vServer0 stop
> Stopping the virtual server vServer0
> Server vServer0 is running
> ipv4root is now -000.000.000.000- (normaly here stand a real ip adress)
> New security context is 49156
> Stopping webmin: [ OK ]
> httpd beenden: [ OK ]
> sshd stoppen: [ OK ]
> crond beenden: [ OK ]
> Starting killall: [ OK ]
> Sending all processes the TERM signal... [ OK ]
> Sending all processes the KILL signal... [ OK ]

until here it's fine ...

> Syncing hardware clock to system time hwclock is unable to get I/O port

now the first hardware related script (which should
not be activated) is run ...

> access: the iopl(3) call failed.
> [FAILED]

and of cours, fails, because it isn't allowed to
mess with the host's hardware ...

> Turning off swap: Not superuser.
> [FAILED]

same goes for the swap and of course the mounts ...

> umount2: Invalid argument
> umount: /dev/hdv1: not found
> umount: /: not mounted
> mount: permission denied

> Please stand by while rebooting the system...
> init: /dev/initctl: No such file or directory

now it tried to access the /dev/initctl (which is
sometimes present and sometimes absent) ...

> sleeping 5 seconds
> Killing all processes

this is the shutdown script (outside) trying to kill
remaining processes (like init)

> Can't set the new security context
> : Invalid argument

which fails as you most likely use deprecated dynamic
context ids (a join to a dynamic context which already
terminated isn't possible)

> The vserver start without any problems, and works perfect, too!
> What does that mean, and how can i fix it ??

meaning, see above, fix: just remove all hardware
related scripts from your (sysv ?) init setup
(i.e. start _and_ stop only those services, which
are relevant for you, like httpd, sshd, crond ...)

HTH,
Herbert