From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Tue 28 Dec 2004 - 17:18:31 GMT

On Tue, Dec 28, 2004 at 11:23:03AM +0100, Hans Ulrich Niedermann wrote:
> Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at> writes:

> >> Sure, but you can't do that in the Debian util-vserver package. :) Can't
> >> touch other package config files. That's one of the reasons why I think
> >> it shouldn't be the Debian's packages problem- let the user handle it,
> >> it's not that big of a deal...

> >> Again, a Debian util-vserver package couldn't do that due to sane policy
> >> issues. It'd be nice if we didn't have to worry about it because the
> >> kernel/vserver patch took care of it, but otherwise I think the user can
> >> handle it and maybe we could have some stuff in README.Debian about it.
> >
> > you got that one wrong, the service is working fine
> > on the host, it's the guest setup which doesn't allow
> > for those services, and this IMHO has to be configured
> > at guest installation anyway (otherwise you end up with
> > a lot of error messages, when the vserver tries to access
> > the hardware, configure the usb disks or set the system
> > time) ...
> >
> > so I really, really, dont see any issues with disabling
> > klogd (runlevel service that is) for a guest when it is
> > isntalled, and this will solve the klogd issues in the
> > guest (there should be none on the host, if so then it's
> > a bug and we will try to fix it ...)
>
> And you can even do that disabling cleanly and automatically if you
> install your guest systems with a virtual klogd instead of the
> standard one which contains nothing but
>
> Provides: linux-kernel-log-daemon
> Conflicts: linux-kernel-log-daemon
> Replaces: linux-kernel-log-daemon
>
> OK, it could make sense to call this package not
> "util-vserver-something" but "vserver-guest". This isn't about
> util-vserver any more, but more something like adding Debian support
> for a new hardware platform.
>
> And for the other hardware stuff Herbert mentioned (random, rtc,
> usb)... theoretically, this vserver-guest package could pull in
> dependencies on adapted versions, or provide virtual packages which
> aren't useful on the guest system.

hmm, yes, would be an option, but what is the problem
with simply disabling those services?

just as an example: Mandrake has a tool called chkconfig
where you simply do

        chkconfig --del network

and it removes all the links from the various runlevels
so that 'network' isn't started anymore ...

doing the same for klogd, while leaving syslogd untouched
would be precisely what you want here ...

(similar is true for all the hardware specific stuff)