From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Tue 28 Dec 2004 - 01:46:20 GMT

On Mon, Dec 27, 2004 at 08:38:10PM -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at) wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 27, 2004 at 08:16:54PM -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > > Not entirely sure what to tell you about vshelper and being called by
> > > the kernel... That's just an odd situation. :) Is there any
> > > environment at that point, coming from *somewhere*?
> >
> > yes, there is an environment and it is coming from
> > the kernel ... currently that is:
> >
> > char *envp[] = {"HOME=/", "TERM=linux",
> > "PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin",
> >
> > plus three further vars:
> >
> > snprintf(cmd_buf, sizeof(cmd_buf)-1, "VS_CMD=%08x", cmd);
> > snprintf(uid_buf, sizeof(uid_buf)-1, "VS_UID=%d", current->uid);
> > snprintf(pid_buf, sizeof(pid_buf)-1, "VS_PID=%d", current->pid);
>
> Ah, interesting... That means anything that's needed by vshelper that's
> not in those paths on most systems is a candidate for being hard-coded.
> Does much fall into this category? Another option would be to have
> vshelper read a config file which specifies it's path, I kind of like
> that, personally. Is vshelper called much by the kernel?

currently no, just on reboot/reset/halt and in near
future on context creation and destruction, but it
might become used more often if we decide to route
kernel fs requests through it (e.g. proc) ...

> > > Fair enough, then they won't be included in Debian as seperate packages
> > > for people to develop against.
> >
> > well, maybe we should try to get out of alpha in near
> > future as I think we will need non-alpha tools for a
> > stable 2.6 release ...
>
> I'm all for that... :) I'd really like to see a 'stable' release of
> vserver.

testing util-vserver (alpha) and reporting back
to enrico (regarding stability and or improvements)
will probably help there ...