From: Lucas Albers (admin_at_cs.montana.edu)
Date: Sun 26 Dec 2004 - 21:42:35 GMT

Oliver Welter said:

> As Gentoo gives the possibility to set gcc optimizations, I want to use
> them, but what can I use without making it impossible to run the code on
> the AMD ? As the stuff is running 99% of the time on the P4, I can
> accept a little performance impact when running on the AMD, so I tought
> of using "mcpu=pentium4"
> Or is there any "better" setting that is compatible with Athlon XP and P4

Dude,
Just run an optimized kernel on each one, the only thing that moves
between thh systems is the vservers, they arent' running a kernel.

I have my vserver move between an athlon-XP and P4 with no changes.
The only thing optimized is the kernel.
I seriously doubt you will notice much difference.
I just i686 op for everything else, the default of debian.
It's just not worth the effort.

--
Luke Computer Science System Administrator
Security Administrator,College of Engineering