From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Mon 20 Dec 2004 - 14:50:57 GMT

On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 01:08:42PM +0100, Martin Honermeyer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've got a SMP VServer machine running on Gentoo. We have the strange
> problem that it is not possible to connect to the host's addresses from
> withhin the host's addresses itself. Which means:

sounds a little strange ...

> * Host can't ping or ssh into any VServer.

definitely some issue with your setup because the
fact 'Host can't ping any VServer' is equal with
'host can't ping it's own ip addresses'

> * No VServer can ping or ssh the host or any VServer,
> including itself (localhost)!

while the first statement leaves a lot of options
(iptables, network config, etc ...) this reduces
the range to a few, with one very likely candidate

 most likely your lo device is misconfigured
 make sure that:

 - lo is up (UP LOOPBACK RUNNING)
 - lo is configured with 127.0.0.1/8

> This means e.g. Mailman doesn't work on my VServer because
> it uses a TCP socket to connect to Postfix running on the
> same VServer, which doesn't work! Only UNIX sockets are working.

in any case, make sure that you define the IP
of the vserver as 'localhost' in etc hosts, this
will make sure that the packets are redirected
properly ...

> Can anyone help? As this is really awkward..

HTH,
Herbert