From: Jörn Engel (joern_at_wohnheim.fh-wedel.de)
Date: Tue 07 Dec 2004 - 19:31:29 GMT

Cowlinks are still on hold, but I'm working on some related stuff in
userspace right now. Might be interesting as well, who knows.

merge is a quick hack tool (one lazy day) to merge two directory
trees. It works in two modes, copy and move.

move mode compares source and target tree and moves any files that
exist only in the source tree to the target tree. If files exist in
both trees and are identical, the source tree variant is deleted.

copy mode works similar, but doesn't delete files from the source
tree.

I find the tool useful when juggling with my media collections on
various machines/drives. Especially the move-mode allows me to
consolidate two collections automatically. It is the cheap 90%
solution and leaves the last 10% for me to decide on manually.

Next use is as a preparation for cowlink-combining tools. Third mode
for this tool should be "don't move anything, but cowlink identical
files". Not a big step, I just don't need that part yet.

As a prove of me being lazy, merge uses libdod, the "do or die"
library. libdod basically contains a couple of wrappers around
standard libc functions and crashes the program if they ever failed.
So using dod_* functions I never have to check for errors myself.
It's not perfect, but incredibly simple. ;)

Source:
http://wohnheim.fh-wedel.de/~joern/software/merge/
http://wohnheim.fh-wedel.de/~joern/software/libdod/

Jörn

--
"Error protection by error detection and correction."
-- from a university class