From: Matt Nuzum (matt.followers_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue 07 Dec 2004 - 18:26:59 GMT

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 11:30:25 -0500 (EST), Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy
<grisha_at_ispol.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Dec 2004, Darryl Ross wrote:
>
> > I haven't had a look to see how you're doing the network stuff, but does
> > it support (or will it support) the ability to set the ethernet MAC
> > address for the virtual interface inside a vserver?
>
> AFAIK the decision on whether to accept a packet destined for a specific
> MAC address lies within the hardware of the network card (unless it's
> running in promiscuous mode), so this is a hardware limitation.
>
> Grisha

Some NICs (all?) have the ability to set or change the MAC address, or
at least somehow affect what their mac address appears to be.

Also, there's the concept of network bridging, which I've never used
in linux but know works in Windows and Open BSD. In Window, the newly
created "Bridge" gets a mac address and dishes the data to the right
network card some how.

Would either of these two things have any bearing?

--
Matthew Nuzum <matt_at_followers.net>
www.followers.net - Makers of "Elite Content Management System"