From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Tue 09 Nov 2004 - 14:46:32 GMT

On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 02:35:18PM +0000, Jesper Krogh wrote:
> I gmane.linux.vserver, skrev Herbert Poetzl:
> >
> > well, either you start building packages for your
> > package system, you rethink your policy, or you
> > choose not to test 'this vserver thing' ...
>
> Sure.. I'll go that way. I'd just like to know if the were available
> somewhere, so I could skip kernel compilation.
>
> > > I tried make-kpkg yesterday with the debian-kernel 2.6.9 source and
> > > vserver patch, that actually worked, (in regards to vserver) but failed
> > > getting pcmcia/wireless to work.
> >
> > well, debian source is debian source, linux-vserver
> > patches are based on the vanilla kernel not on some
> > distro kernel ...
>
> Ok.. so I'll go for the vanilla kernel in the next try.
>
> > > I'd really like to have a couple of vservers at my laptop for testing
> > > software installations :-) Isn't this a common usage of Vservers?
> >
> > yes, it is also common practice to avoid debian
> > to get a working linux-vserver setup ...
>
> For any particular reason?

well, a few would be:

 - they provide outdated tools
 - they modify the tools until they stop working
 - tools are added which do not work as expected
 - default settings for kernel and vservers are insecure
 - they do not care about their linux-vserver users
 - it causes a lot of unneccessary work for the
   linux-vserver development folks