From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Tue 09 Nov 2004 - 14:42:53 GMT

On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 03:01:25PM +0200, Andreea Gansac wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am now testing the development release 1.9.3 for kernel 2.6 and I
> have a few questions. I searched google and the mailing list archives
> but nothing helped.
>
> When I run vserver-stat I get among other things, the VSZ and RSS of
> every vserver.

> I have a vserver in which I run apache and mysql. Adding the RSS of all
> processes I get around 60M used. But vserver-stat tells me that this
> vserver consumes only 15.3K RSS. I don't understand why is this big
> difference?

simple, the vserver-stat is broken ...
multiply the number with 4k (pagesize) and everything
should be fine ...

(Enrico, maybe we can fix that?)

USER PID XID %CPU %MEM VSZ RSS TTY STAT START TIME COMMAND
root 31 100 0.4 0.7 2748 436 tts/0 S 14:36 0:00 sleep 100

/ # vserver-stat
CTX PROC VSZ RSS userTIME sysTIME UPTIME NAME
0 15 12.9M 884 0m00s70 0m02s36 1m00s68 root server
100 1 2.6M 109 0m00s30 0m00s30 0m06s41

and for 10 sleeps:

CTX PROC VSZ RSS userTIME sysTIME UPTIME NAME
0 15 12.9M 885 0m01s38 0m03s13 5m45s68 root server
100 10 26.8M 1K 0m01s91 0m01s67 0m21s98

> I successfully limited the RSS and NPROC for a vserver with vlimit but
> every time I restart the vserver the limits are reseted. I believe I
> have to set this limits in /etc/vservers/vserver_name/rlimits/resource
> file.

well, yes and no, have a look at the flower-page

http://linux-vserver.org/alpha+util-vserver
http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~ensc/util-vserver/doc/conf/configuration.html

> And I did that like this:
>
> RSS 16384 //16K for RSS
> NPROC 50
>
> But still something is wrong... the limits are not taken from the
> resource file. Is something wrong with the syntax I used in the resource
> file? I also added the same lines in
> /etc/vservers/vserver_name/rlimits/resource.hard but didn't help.

use separate files, and it should work as expected
(e.g. /etc/vservers/vserver_name/rlimits/cpu )

> Thanks for your answers and please excuse me if I am boring you with my
> questions!

you're welcome!