From: Björn Steinbrink (bjoern.steinbrink_at_isp4p.net)
Date: Mon 04 Oct 2004 - 23:24:58 BST

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 15:06:42 -0600 (MDT)
"Lucas Albers" <admin_at_cs.montana.edu> wrote:

> I'm using vserver as part of the debian util-vserver.

util-vserver 0.30 that is, right? And i guess kernel 2.4-vs1.2x as you don't mention any proc-security problems ;) But please tell us if my crystal ball isn't working well...

> I setup a vserver by copying it from a working instance to a new instance,
> it appears I did not copy a dev file or similar correclty.

cp -a <src> <dst> should be fine.

> These are the mount entries on the vserver that is not working correctly.
> /dev/hdv1 on / type ext3 (defaults)
>
> It does not appear that the non functioning vserver is mounting proc or
> dev correctly.
> If I start it up and then mount proc from the host, it appears to work
> correctly.
> If I shut it down and proc is not mounted in the vserver from the host,
> then the shutdown process hangs.

Hmm... interesting, never experienced such a behaviour.

> Any idea what could be wrong:

Do you get any errors/warnings when starting the vserver? Using 'bash -x `which vserver` xyz start' you can get a call trace that may also be helpful.

> Here are the /etc/fstab entries for the working vserver,

/etc/fstab is not used within a vserver, all mounts happen within the host (context 0).

HTH
Bjoern