From: Petar [Lists] (pjn_at_nikolich.org)
Date: Tue 22 Jun 2004 - 19:10:13 BST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Martin List-Petersen" <martin_at_list-petersen.net>
To: <vserver_at_list.linux-vserver.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 23, 2004 1:43 AM
Subject: Re: [Vserver] Mailing List Future ...

> On Tue, 2004-06-22 at 18:11, Petar [Lists] wrote:
> > There is no real reason /not/ to be subscribed. It takes
> > 5 minutes to go through the process and should solve what
> > /will/ become an increasing problem.
>
> Actually you are not quite right there. It get's more and more common
> to use unique email-addresses (e.g. martin+20040622_at_domain.com or
> martin+vserver_at_domain.com) to identify where the email-address was
> picked up and to be able to counteract on that.
>
> This address would not necessarily be the one that is subscribed.

Ok, that is just the way some people do it. I use a dedicated list
email address and sort the stuff myself. The list subject line has
a unique identified [vserver]. I would presume to guess that the
majority of people are subscribed still with a simple email address?

There will be pain all round for some people if the list is closed
but accessibility for the majority will require change on the part
of some.

> And if you have read the posts, some people are actually reading the
> mailinglist on a news gateway, no need for subscribing for them.

Ok, fine. This is still a subset of those in total. See comment above.

> The people that read mail on news or use a special address for the
> mailinglist is one issue. The ones that have a ever changing unique
> address every time would have an issue.

We all have a pretty good idea that the spam will increase and without
some form of moderation i.e. subscription, the list resource will
eventually become useless in that capacity.

My preference is not important. The overall aim is to have a usable
resource and ever increasing levels of spam will defeat this goal.

..Petar