From: Liam Helmer (linuxlists_at_thevenue.org)
Date: Thu 13 May 2004 - 00:17:06 BST

On Wed, 2004-05-12 at 17:31, Dennis Roos wrote:
> Hi,
> Here's the problem:
> Users inside the vserver are unable to traceroute (ping works fine, due
> to the CAP_NET_RAW)... traceroute complains about the (source)
> interface, like so:
> root # traceroute -n www.google.nl
> traceroute: findsaddr: Can't find interface "eth1"
> If I specify the source interface (using the vserver's alias), the trace
> completes, eg:
> traceroute -n www.google.nl -i eth1:VSERVER01

I think that you best bet is probably just
alias traceroute="traceroute -i eth1:VSERVER01"

The problem is that traceroute is bypassing the routing tables to find
it's source address: it queries the ethernet interface directory, but
it doesn't have enough access.

I seem to remember someone who put together a protocol independent
traceroute, could do udp, or gre, or a couple of other things. Haven't
use it much for a while though. I suspect that just using a more modern
(i.e. post-BSD) utility will work better for you.

Cheers,
Liam