From: Dennis Roos (dennis_at_intouch.nl)
Date: Wed 12 May 2004 - 18:31:25 BST

Hi,

I installed a few gentoo based vservers on gentoo linux based hosts...
Works flawlessly, after editing a sh*tload of files, but that's another
issue ;)

The kernel in use is: 2.4.24-vs1.26 (gentoo package).

Here's the problem:
Users inside the vserver are unable to traceroute (ping works fine, due
to the CAP_NET_RAW)... traceroute complains about the (source)
interface, like so:

root # traceroute -n www.google.nl
traceroute: findsaddr: Can't find interface "eth1"

If I specify the source interface (using the vserver's alias), the trace
completes, eg:
traceroute -n www.google.nl -i eth1:VSERVER01

The config looks like this:
ONBOOT=yes
S_CONTEXT=4
S_CAPS="CAP_NET_RAW"
IPROOT="eth1:192.168.3.4/255.255.255.0"
S_START="/sbin/rc vserver"
S_STOP="/sbin/rc shutdown"
S_HOSTNAME="hostname.domain.tld"

On a side note, we are working on a php/ldap based vserver configuration
management tool, as the only tool I am aware of is still unavailable...

If anyone is interested, I'd be willing to put it online somewhere...
Contact me off-list about this.

--
Regards,
Dennis Roos

Network Engineer InTouch N.V. Middenweg 76 1097 BS Amsterdam Tel: +31 (0)20 6752060 Fax: +31 (0)20 6758429