From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Tue 13 Apr 2004 - 12:25:13 BST

On Tue, Apr 13, 2004 at 03:44:00AM +0200, Christian Jaeger wrote:
> Mainly just wondering: why is there no real init process for each
> vserver? At first, I thought that there was one, and that it's pid is
> translated to 1 inside vserver context. But then I realized that the
> process arguments, '[2]', is always representing the runlevel of the
> host, not the vserver.

there are two kinds of vserver possible

 - those without an init, which will 'just' see the
   init of the host
 - those with a separate init (for example minit),
   which can do that and more

so it should only be a question of setup ...

> USER PID %CPU %MEM VSZ RSS TTY STAT START TIME COMMAND
> root 1 10.8 0.0 1276 488 ? S 02:08 0:04 init [2]
>
> Then I also understood why /dev/initctl doesn't exist inside vserver,
> simply because there is no real init process.
>
> But how is stuff handled that init usually does, like restarting
> services? And wouldn't it be nice if one could 'telinit
> <another_runlevel>' inside vserver? Shutdown would probably even work
> without -f flag.

should work with the latter method, let us know
if not ...

HTH,
Herbert