From: Enrico Scholz (enrico.scholz_at_informatik.tu-chemnitz.de)
Date: Tue 13 Apr 2004 - 08:52:22 BST

christian.jaeger_at_ethlife.ethz.ch (Christian Jaeger) writes:

> 1.- Not a problem of the utils but of my setup:
> I have a setup where the vserver tools are inside a chroot, not on the
> plain host. This is because I want to keep woody on the host, but the
> alpha tools only compile on sarge/sid.

Hmm, I tested it on plain woody and it built there. Which errors do you
get?

> 2.- As you can see from the above script, I had to change the order of
> the arguments to make it work. Before that, vshelper complained about

I see. The kernel API changed between 1.2x and 1.3/1.90. Fixed in CVS.

> No responsible vserver found for xid 'restart2' (restart2); aborting...
>
> 3.- Only "reboot -f" does seem to work in debian, "shutdown -f now",
> "halt" etc are just complaining about missint /dev/initctl and stop.
> Why is there no initctl if there is an init process running?

Are you sure that you mean an init process within the vserver? 'ps'
shows a *bogus* init from host-ctx which does not have a /dev/initctl
pipe. So, best solution would be probably a final initscript which calls
a reboot(2) wrapper. I will see what I can do there, but this will be a
very distribution specific task.

> (The rather strange thing about this is, that reboot -f usually does
> circumvent the normal shutdown process, but in this vserver case, it
> will still shut down the vserver cleanly (wrong "semantics").)

I am using vshelper in combination with fakeinit vservers only. There,
sending SIGINT to init invokes the shutdown sequence and last action is
a reboot(2).

> 4.- Rather cosmetic, but it might interest you: the vshelper is
> triggered twice for each argument (four times in total) for one
> "reboot -f":

'reboot -f' does

| reboot(LINUX_REBOOT_MAGIC1, LINUX_REBOOT_MAGIC2, LINUX_REBOOT_CMD_RESTART) = 0
| reboot(LINUX_REBOOT_MAGIC1, LINUX_REBOOT_MAGIC2, LINUX_REBOOT_CMD_CAD_OFF) = 0

The CMD_CAD_OFF is not handled explicitly by the kernel and translated
to 'restart' therefore.

I do not know why 'restart2' will be invoked; this seems to be implicated
by the kernel and 'vshelper' ignores it completely.

Thx for your report
Enrico