From: Sam Vilain (sam_at_vilain.net)
Date: Thu 08 Apr 2004 - 05:28:14 BST

Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy wrote:

>Am I missing something - you're mounting things that are in the shadow
>server via --bind - but doesn't this mean that if one of the vservers
>unlinks the file in a directory mounted this way, it will be gone for all
>other vservers?

No, the structure looks like this:

/vservers/master/usr (empty)
/vservers/shadow/master/usr (contents)
/vservers/myVserver/usr (empty)
/vservers/shadow/myVserver/usr (linked contents)

All of the /vservers/shadow/* directories are hard linked replicas of
each other, using immutable file contents flags.

>BTW, I really wish Linux had something like the FreeBSD unionfs.

Each approach has its own drawbacks and limitations I guess. I assume
that unionfs is a union mount - mounting a filesystem on top of another
one so that you can "see through" to the contents of the filesystem
underneath, but new files get created on the filesystem "on top".

But what about removing files? How does unionfs handle that? ie, if
there is a file present on the "master", can you remove it from the
union mounted version? Or only replace it?

--
Sam Vilain, sam /\T vilain |><>T net, PGP key ID: 0x05B52F13
(include my PGP key ID in personal replies to avoid spam filtering)