From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Tue 02 Mar 2004 - 23:24:00 GMT

On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 09:52:14PM +0100, Dariush Pietrzak wrote:
> > > 4) IPv6 support. Zones have it, vserver does not.
> > It realy need ? i see only one-two request to this feature. if i have
> I don't need it. At least not this year, maybe two years from now.
> I was just making a quick list of things that you get with Solaris Zones
> and you can't get from vserver solutions.
>
> > four-five requests i add handle ipv6 protocol to my branch.
> I've seen 2 or 3 requests from some french hackers on irc.
> I don't really think there's a need for that right now, it's just that
> would be neat thing to have, there's a natural attraction between large
> pool of addresses and vservers ( it's relatively easy to get 2^16 pool of
> addresses in ipv6 space, it's very hard to get even C class in ipv4 ).
>
> > It easy with private disk namespace. I create it for FreeVPS.
> What exactly are those 'private namespaces' in kernel context?
> It gets mentioned often enough, but I still don't understand what that is.
> Where can I find some relevant info? google spews some unrelated basic
> stuff..

basically it's simple, the vfs was (re)designed to
allow for a namespace (including mounts and other
things) per process, so that one process might 'see'
the /proc mounted for example, where the other has
it already unmounted ...

normally the namespace is shared among the processes
so all processes see the same 'picture' of the vfs
but this can be changed with some mount options

this is used in FreeVPS and recent linux-vserver
kernels to allow for separate namespaces, which
basically also allow arbitrary mounts and other
namespace manipulations without affecting the other
namespaces.

once the requirements for secure mounts are known
they will be added to the pool of linux-vserver
features ...

unfortunately there isn't much docu except for a
general vfs overview and the kernel source ...

HTH,