From: Kevin Gray (vserver-kg_at_mail.eapps.com)
Date: Fri 27 Feb 2004 - 00:15:08 GMT

After discussions on the irc channel, Herbert thought it might be a good
idea to get some feedback on the following question. Any input is
appreciated:

How many ip addresses should be sufficient for a single vserver?

If you think more than a few (more than 16 for example), would it be
more useful/appropriate given your setup to use ranges of ips or enter
them one by one?

Just for my feedback to start:

We normally use one ip address per vserver, but for some of our hosting
services, we have 32 customers in a single vserver. The reason being,
less individual services (overhead), more customers on a server, etc.
The number 32 is used because of the limitation of adding secondary
members to a group in reference to permissions. Instead of changing this
in the kernel (if possible), we decided to increase the limitation in
vserver tools/patch to allow more than 16 ip addresses. We do not use
ranges only for the reason that other than the hassle of obtaining
additional subnets, our existing free ips are not in blocks, but
randomly throughout..

Kevin Gray
Sr. Network Administrator
eApps