From: Roderick A. Anderson (raanders_at_acm.org)
Date: Tue 24 Feb 2004 - 21:57:11 GMT

I'm taking a few minutes (as the compile of a new vserver kernel goes on)
to ask what is probably a very naive question.

Has anyone came up with a very lean .config for vserver? Jacques is OK
but there looks to be a bit of fluff in it. Unneeded modules, features,
etc. I think I have it correctly in mind that anything needed in a
vserver -- kernel-wise -- has to be in the main server. But as far as
networking and other very system related stuff this could be limited
during the configure process.
   So with a lean .config file all other/specific stuff could be added.
I'm sure all the serious Linux users on this list already do this but for
us 'challenged' individuals this ain't the case. Where I'm heading is is
there a way to document -- on a running system -- the hardware that needs
drivers/modules and what they are named or where they are located when
doing 'make menuconfig'?
   Along with this does 'make dep' resolve any issues that relate to
doing it this way?

TIA,
Rod