From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Mon 09 Feb 2004 - 11:12:28 GMT

On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 11:14:16AM +0100, Michael Hilscher wrote:
> Am 09.02.2004 um 01:08 schrieb Cathy Sarisky:
> >I just tried the exploit and my /vservers directory did NOT get
> >chmoded to
> >001, looks like I pass. Lots of:
> >cd ..: Permission denied
> >chmod: Operation not permitted
> exploit is working with stable stuff.
>
> >This is with /vservers at 000 AND the +t attr, vs1.26 and vserver-0.29.
> >Yes, I know I should upgrade tools. Side note: using vbuild to build a
> >vserver with /vservers +t creates a vserver with too many +t's. I
> >needed
> >to chattr -t the vserver and then vunify to get everything working.
> Well I'm not sure what you ment about chattr -t. I did:
> --- cut ---
> 1. Patch Kernel with:
> http://www.13thfloor.at/vserver/s_release/v1.26/patch-2.4.24-
> vs1.26.diff.bz2
> make dep clean bzImage
> vi /etc/lilo.conf
> lilo
> restart System with new Kernel
>
> 2. installed util-vserver:
> http://www.13thfloor.at/vserver/s_release/v1.26/util-vserver
> -0.28.tar.bz2
>
> 3. chmod 000 /vservers
> chmod +t /vservers
    ^^^^^^
probably that is the reason why it didn't work, should be

 chattr +t /vservers

you should then see something like this:

[root_at_XXXX root]# /tmp/rootesc
cd ..: Permission denied
chmod: Operation not permitted
cd ..: Permission denied
chmod: Operation not permitted
..
cd ..: Permission denied
chmod: Operation not permitted
Exploit seems to work. =)

but that is just a wrong statement, as ls / hopefully will show

HTH,
Herbert

PS: if it still works for you, please contact me, because
something must be very different in your setup, as I
verified once again, that it _is_ secure against this exploit