From: Robert Cope (robert_at_gonkgonk.com)
Date: Mon 09 Feb 2004 - 01:23:33 GMT

Herbert Poetzl wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 08, 2004 at 06:23:31PM -0600, Robert Cope wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>Hopefully I have not missed the obvious, but I am wondering if there is
>>any way to get the BSD process accounting data per vserver. Thanks,
>

> hmm, as the name says, it's 'process accounting' so
> that can't be simply 'extended' to an entire vserver ...
>
> in what part are you interested, and how would you
> expect such a feature to work, from a user perspective?
>
> just to get an overview what BSD accounting contains:
>
> __u16 ac_uid; /* Accounting Real User ID */
> __u16 ac_gid; /* Accounting Real Group ID */
> __u16 ac_tty; /* Accounting Control Terminal */
> __u32 ac_btime; /* Accounting Process Creation Time */
> comp_t ac_utime; /* Accounting User Time */
> comp_t ac_stime; /* Accounting System Time */
> comp_t ac_etime; /* Accounting Elapsed Time */
> comp_t ac_mem; /* Accounting Average Memory Usage */
> comp_t ac_io; /* Accounting Chars Transferred */
> comp_t ac_rw; /* Accounting Blocks Read or Written */
> comp_t ac_minflt; /* Accounting Minor Pagefaults */
> comp_t ac_majflt; /* Accounting Major Pagefaults */
> comp_t ac_swaps; /* Accounting Number of Swaps */
> __u32 ac_exitcode; /* Accounting Exitcode */
> char ac_comm[ACCT_COMM + 1]; /* Accounting Command Name */
> char ac_pad[10]; /* Accounting Padding Bytes */

Thanks, I've been looking at this since asking the question -- use the
source, Luke, and all that.

What I'd like is for the proccess accounting system to store the context
ID. In that way, for example, with 'lastcomm' (on the host), I would
know in which context a command was run. Does that make sense?

I'm going to look into what it would take to add this functionality to
the kernel and to the acct tools.

Thanks,

robert

robert