From: Frank Matthieß (frankm_at_lug-owl.de)
Date: Fri 30 Jan 2004 - 13:33:55 GMT

Herbert Poetzl [2004-01-29 22:25 CET]:

> 1) should the 2.4 branch be frozen, and if when?

I also prefer frozing 2.4, if the main linux distributions[*] use 2.6 out of
the box. I think the change to 2.6 will go in the next six month. To
make vserver usable and secure at the same level as today, you must
start in the next three month IMO.

[*] RedHat, SuSE, debian.

> 2) is it bad if 2.4 and 2.6 branches diverge?

No. The actual 2.4 is usable and should only be mantained for bug- and
securityfixes. The work should only go the teh active branch 2.6 and
2.6SE.

> 3) is multitude (2.4/2.6/2.6SE) preferred over
> development speed?

Multitude 2.6, 2.4SE preferred over development speed.

> 4) is a 2.4/2.6 migration path important to you?

If it is a very hard job: No.

> 5) what branch 2.4, 2.6 or 2.6SE would you prefer?

2.6 over 2.6SE.

> 6) what branch/version do you currently use/test?

2.4.23-xfs with vs120 at my homeserver.

This reflects my personal view and use of linux-vserver.

Frank.

--
Frank Matthieß