From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Sun 14 Dec 2003 - 18:21:42 GMT

On Sun, Dec 14, 2003 at 05:57:21PM +0100, Fabio Corneti wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm trying the quota tools (0.6 with vserver 1.2.2) in order to enforce
> disk limits for my vservers; all seems working, but I'm unsure about the
> exact meaning of the parameters passed to the -S option of cqdlim...
>
> If I understood correctly the docs, with the inodes-total and
> blocks-total I can specify the maximum number of inodes and blocks that
> a vserver can use; but what's the meaning of inodes-used and
> blocks-used? Do they refer to the ability of cqdlim to enforce a
> predefined "usage" for the vserver filesystem?
>
> If they are set to 0, does this mean that no limit/predefined usage is
> applied? I tried to set inodes-total and blocks total to arbitrary
> values, leaving other parameters on 0, and df|df -i behave accordingly
> (great!), but I would like to understand completely this stuff before
> using it on a larger scale.

the kernel, per se, do not know how many inodes and
blocks belong to each vserver, this should (will) be
managed by userspace tools, and then is passed to the
kernel via cqdlim ...

so basically a userspace startup would scan the vserver
directory for vserver files, summing up the inodes and
blocks and then pass them as the 'current' values ...

> What's the meaning of %-root?

ever wondered why the df values do not sum up?

/dev/vgs/slash 253920 62560 178256 26% /

178256 + 62560 = 240816 (which is not 253920)

every filesystem reserves some space for the root
user, to make sure, that in cases where the other
users filled up the filesystem, root still has some
space left ...

that value usually is around 5-10%, and that is what
you specify with %-root ...

HTH,
Herbert