From: Roderick A. Anderson (raanders_at_acm.org)
Date: Mon 08 Dec 2003 - 22:28:53 GMT

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003, Sam Vilain wrote:

> On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 14:42, Roderick A. Anderson wrote;

> Running the script with -v or -d makes it a lot easier to debug.
> Could you run the script with -d and send me the output?

Still blows chunks.

{/vservers.new}# unify-dirs -d ref tc
unify-dirs: Unifying: ref tc
unify-dirs: Processing ref...
unify-dirs: Readdir OK
unify-dirs: Processing tc...
unify-dirs: Readdir OK
unify-dirs: Processing ref/sbin...
unify-dirs: Readdir OK
unify-dirs: Processing tc/sbin...
unify-dirs: Readdir OK
unify-dirs: COMPARE: tc/sbin/install-info vs ref/sbin/install-info
unify-dirs: digesting tc/sbin/install-info
Error digesting tc/sbin/install-info; Input/output error at
/root/bin/unify-dirs line 287.

{/vservers.new}# unify-dirs -v ref tc
unify-dirs: Unifying: ref tc
Error digesting tc/sbin/install-info; Input/output error at
/root/bin/unify-dirs line 287.

> Please also forward me the output of:
>
> perl -le 'eval"use $_",print"$_: ".${$_.::VERSION} foreach
> qw(Pod::Constants Class::Tangram Set::Object ReadDir);'

 Attachment (check1.lst)

> and:
>
> perl -V

Attachment (check2.lst)

> If it segfaults, run it inside the debugger (ie perl -d unify-dirs -d
> ...) and just let it rip. Actually the best thing to do is to trap it
> with gdb and do a stack backtrace; get yourself a debug-perl and:
>
> gdb /usr/bin/debug-perl
> > b main
> > r -d /root/bin/unify-dirs -d
> PerlDB <1> c
> *segv*
> > bt

No joy and short on time right now. We're moving our equipment to our new
NOC tonight so I'm playing catch as catch can - still I wanted to provide
something sooner than later.

> If you make sure that the modules are built with debugging symbols,
> you can usually see clearly which module the bug is in... these sorts
> of bugs can be hard to track down otherwise.

A project for later this week unless your brilliance sees it sooner. :-)

Best,
Rod