From: Simon Garner (sgarner_at_expio.co.nz)
Date: Tue 25 Nov 2003 - 04:46:43 GMT

Hi everyone!

I am pleased to announce the release of something I've been working on a
little while now: VSkel!

I have added a page on the Wiki about it (hope that is okay...) here:

    http://www.linux-vserver.org/index.php?page=VSkel

WHAT IS IT?

VSkel is a script for creating and maintaining vservers using
FreeVSD-style "skels". A skel (short for skeleton) is like a template
server, and you can have several skels with different software and
configurations. VSkel then allows you to easily create vservers based on
those skels.

VSkel is primarily aimed at users implementing virtual servers in a
commercial web hosting scenario, where you might create several skels
representing different account types, with different software packages
installed (or you might just have "one with everything", depending on
your needs). Once a skel is built with a particular configuration, VSkel
makes it easy to create vservers using the same configuration.

DOWNLOAD

You can download the first version of VSkel, v0.20 from the wiki page:

    http://www.linux-vserver.org/index.php?page=VSkel

REQUIREMENTS

I have only tested this with a 2.4.22-c17h kernel, though it should work
with later versions just fine. I've also only tested it with the
util-vserver-0.23.93 tools, I am not sure if there will be problems with
later versions (shouldn't be, if they are backward compatible).

VSkel is written in Perl, so you'll need Perl installed, and it uses the
Getopt::Long and File::Find modules, but those should be standard with
Perl5. As far as I am aware it does not require any particular version
of Perl.

This basically replaces the "vserver <name> build" functionality from
util-vserver, which I found didn't work the way I needed. Maybe the two
can be integrated later?

HELP

Please post on this list if you have any trouble with VSkel, and let me
know what you think... I welcome any feedback, suggestions and of course
patches ;)

enjoy,

-Simon