From: Alexander Goeres (agoeres_at_lieblinx.net)
Date: Wed 05 Nov 2003 - 10:15:22 GMT

I once tried to make the vservers run on a SuSE disto but after serveral
weekends gave up. That's basically due to my lack of ability to compile a
vanilla kernel on SuSE so that all the modules it has with its standard
kernel work.
We run vservers under Debian 3.0 (Woody) without any problems. The "normal"
vservers (without setting disk-space limits and without setting the context
number :-)) are "simple": I started with the introduction by Jacques (in
april, I think) and worked up my way through the other docs in mentioned
http://linux-vserver.org. Astonishingly there's not really much to do to run
vservers: patching, compiling and installing the kernel, getting the tools of
choice (either from the Debian distro or Enrico's util-vserver), setting up a
vserver, do a "vserver xxx start" and that's it... As a kernel I use whatever
is currently regarded as stable (on the long running system 2.4.18, on the
systems to-be-set-up 2.4.22) and where the developers provide a patch.

I found it to be very stable, relatively easy to install and extremely useful!

Alexander

agoeres_at_lieblinx.net
tel.: +49 (0)30 / 61 20 26 87
fax: +49 (0)30 / 61 20 26 89