From: Charles Dale (bug_at_aphid.net)
Date: Wed 05 Nov 2003 - 05:10:31 GMT

Hi Ian,

VServer doesn't really care too much about the distro. This is especially
true for the kernel patch - it will run on any distro that is built around a
2.4 kernel (i.e. every important distro).

With respect to the tools, the basic functionality should be 100% portable.
That being said, Jack's tools in particular contain a number of Red Hat (or
at least RPM based distro) specific scripts (vrpm etc). Also they assume a
SysV style initscript system (i.e. won't work easily with Slackware I
assume).

Any reason why you wouldn't use Fedora (i.e. "RHL developed openly")? It's
not like Red Hat's going away completely, it's just changing development
mode. Personally I'm very happy about the change and will use both Fedora &
RHEL. Not that you shouldn't use the opportunity to try out Debian/etc and
see if they suit you.

As for your other questions:

1. Re: which version - Use a stock 2.4.22 kernel with the v1.0 patches. The
patch and the suitable tools are available here:

  http://www.13thfloor.at/vserver/s_release/v1.00/

2. Re: how to start - That's a hard question to answer in general. Perhaps
the currently-being-written Virtualizing HOWTO would help you:

  http://www.linux-vserver.org/index.php?page=VirtualizeHowto

I would recommend that you start with a fresh distro install, then add your
current hosting server as a vserver on this fresh install. That way you can
easily upgrade your vserver - you can back it up, upgrade it, revert if
necessary, swap it to a second machine, whatever. Yay vservers.

3. Re: vrpm - Well I didn't know the answer to your question, but running
"vrpm" without arguments told me that "vrpm ALL -- rpm -Uvh ..." will do
what you want.

There's no patched up2date as far as I know, but you can do what you want
with a simple script (not tested!):

a. Set up2date to retrieveOnly, that way RPMs will get dumped in
/var/spool/up2date - do this by edit /etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date and changing
retrieveOnly=0 to retrieveOnly=1;

b. Put "vrpm ALL -- rpm -Uvh /var/spool/up2date/*.rpm && mv
/var/spool/up2date/*.rpm /var/spool/up2date/installed/" in your daily cron.
(And make sure to create the installed/ directory, and monitor the account
that receives the cron results in case there are any errors during the RPM
installation.)

NOTE: I don't really advise automated RPM updating! Doing it with 1 server
is alright but you should really do it manually for 100 vservers. Just get
up2date to send you a message when there are new packages available (you
could do this on RHN or write your own script), then run the "vrpm ALL ..."
command yourself.

Cheers,
Chuck