From: Jacques Gelinas (jack_at_solucorp.qc.ca)
Date: Wed 22 Oct 2003 - 18:26:46 BST

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 15:34:03 -0500, Enrico Scholz wrote
> jack_at_solucorp.qc.ca (Jacques Gelinas) writes:
>
> >> please note that this version requires new tools (util-vserver 0.23.92
> >> or later) to work. you can get them either from the same directory, or
> >> from Enricos util-vserver page at savannah.nongnu.org
> >
> > This is confusing. Why change the name of the package.
>
> util-vserver began as an experimental port of the 'vserver' package
> to provide C-implementations of the base-tools and an automake based
> build-system. When it become official (that means: when it become a
> savannah project), the old 'vserver' package was still alive and
> there were possible naming-conflicts with other, non-security context
> 'vserver' projects. Since it needed a name, I chose 'util-vserver',
> which seems to be more describing than 'vserver'.

Yes true, but now it will become the official version and the project is
called linux-vserver, so we should keep the same name.

> > btw, Why util-vserver has dropped the newverser command.
>
> * I do not know how to program in 'shellmod'

This is a community project. Other know how. So keep it in.

> * I can not test it

Again this is a community project and other will test it. newvserver is
widely used.

> * the current version will not work with the new configuration scheme
> (see [1] for information about it; but this is work-in-progress so do
> not rely on it)

Then it will be modified.

This configuration change is a major issue btw. Tons of vserver are currently
running and we will need a way to upgrade.

> * linuxconf does not seem to be very wide-spread

Linuxconf and linuxconf-lib are two things. It provides a way to
write a simple configuration utility that works both in text and gui mode.

One success of the vserver project was its packaging and the completness
of the tools, including newvserver.

So keep it in.