From: Herbert Pötzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Wed 09 Jul 2003 - 15:15:41 BST

Hi Ola!

On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 11:41:14AM +0200, Ola Lundqvist wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 28, 2003 at 04:13:23PM +0200, Christian Mayrhuber wrote:
> *SNIP*
> > Vserver is relatively new on Debian and is not part of the
> > stable distribution. It is only in testing and unstable for now.
> > Those packages moved the /vservers directory to /var/lib/vservers
> > in order to comply with the debian standards.
> > You should be able to recompile the vserver .deb for stable
> > by yourself.
>
> If you want precompiled you can find them on http://debian.opal.dhs.org/.
> I usually place the backported version there when I upload a new
> version to unstable.
>
> The move from /vservers to /var/lib/vservers was to comply with LSB
> which RedHat and others wants to comply to as well. The neat thing
> is that you can configure the location in /etc/vserver.conf.

is there some documentation about the changes/usage for debian?
maybe a short how-to for setup or anything?

> > Running vserver on debian is as stable as it is on any other
> > distribution. It is very comfortable to build
> > a new vserver with the newvserver-debian script from Paul Sladen
> > and Mark Lawrence. You will have to edit it to suit your needs.
>
> There is actually a script inside the package nowdays.

what about server unification, how was this solved?
I would like to get some infos from somebody who
actually runs a debian host/vserver combo, maybe
with multiple similar vserver and unification?

> Regards,
>
> // Ola
>
> > If you want to install a system to let it run once it's installed,
> > good security updates without much effort and
> > you do not need the latest software releases, then Debian's
> > stable distribution is for you.

what about security updates in regard of unification?
any comments/infos are welcome ...